A total of 2.3 million people working in the informal sector have benefited from the second phase of the support operation provided by the Special Fund for the Management of the Coronavirus Pandemic until May 19, Head of Government Saad Dine El Otmani said on Wednesday.
Speaking at a plenary session of the House of Representatives (lower house), dedicated to the discussion of his presentation on the management of lockdown, El Otmani pointed out that “2.3 million households, or 55 % of all eligible people, benefited from the second phase of this operation until May 19”.
The operation is “a success so far,” he added, noting that during the first phase, support was provided to 4.3 million people.
El Otmani said in this regard that there are 194,000 people who will receive financial aid in the coming days before Eid Al Fitr, as mobile units are in charge now of this operation.
This solidarity action was launched by the Economic Monitoring Committee upon the high Royal instructions in order to provide support to categories which have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic and have lost their jobs.
At the beginning, support was granted to households benefiting from the medical assistance scheme (Ramed) operating in the informal sector, but that “does not mean that anyone with the Ramed card can benefit from it, since it is mainly dedicated to people who no longer have income due to the loss of their jobs”.
Regarding complaints lodged by people who think they meet the eligibility criteria to receive support, El Otmani explained that a digital platform has been set up so that they can lodge their complaints which should be examined with due care.
Concerning the bill on the use of social media, El Otmani stressed that “this bill will be submitted to Parliament”, adding that it was decided to revise the text so as to interact with the views of citizens and the various stakeholders.